Monday, August 5, 2013

Connecting the spirtual, mental and physical aspects of wellness

I'd say I have a pretty firm grasp on the ideas of physical and mental wellness.  Not that I'm an expert by any means but I read the text books and I can usually find a good amount of my life experience that I am able to relate the text to.  This forms a kind of connection where I am confident in these areas.  The concept of spiritual wellness is probably where I lack the most confidence in understanding.  I'd label myself a beginner in this area.  I read the text and I can't say I fully connect with it.  I think I'm at the point in my life where I'm beginning a bit of a spiritual journey.

I definitely can see where all three areas, spiritual, mental and physical are interconnected and if one area is affected the others are affected as well.  I think that goes along with the understanding that we are a whole being and that if one area of us is disrupted than we must look at all parts for the solution. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I am learning not only a great deal about spiritual, mental, and physical wellness this semester but a lot about myself and the way I think. I am definitely a beginner at spiritual and mental wellness but I know I'll get where I need to be. Good luck in your journey to wellness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to be at the beginning of a journey--no place to go but up! I think it's so exciting that we are a whole creature, and it's neat to read these scientists who say we are not discrete sections of creature, but a whole spectrum going from physical to spiritual to interpersonal/worldwide. It's such a new perspective to me, and one I haven't heard at all in our Western philosophies.

    ReplyDelete