Sunday, August 18, 2013

: "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself"

There is a certain passion that arises in a person once they experience something.  This passion is a necessity in the art of teaching.  I don't think a person can fully lead someone towards growth if that person has not taken that path themselves.  A true teacher makes a connection with the student and if the teacher doesn't fully know what they are teaching than it would prove to be a very difficult task to get their student there; and in order to fully know something a person must experience it.  I think there's an accountability of the teacher; one that tries to teach without this experience or full knowledge is in a way cheating the student. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this. The passion gained from experience and finding joy in that experience is something I had not even thought about. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jillian,
    Your words ring so true to me. It truly would be a disservice to not only your client but yourself if you are trying to teach them something you cannot relate to. The way I see it, there is no way I would want to go into the health and wellness field without having researched everything thoroughly myself. There is a need to know how to see things from different angles because what worked for one client might not work as well for another. One has to know how to adjust based on the clients needs. Having a lack of knowledge and experience will only make things awkward and frustrating for both you and the client. Great post!

    Sherese Reed

    ReplyDelete